Sunday, June 2, 2013

Up Days and Errol Flynn

This week has been a bit of a mixed bag for us. Mom has slept a lot of the time, but yesterday she was wide awake all day and tonight, about dinner time, the original Robin Hood, with Errol Flynn, came on. She has been totally awake and engaged all through the movie. There’s nothing like the classics to wake a girl up!!

Yesterday morning, as I was trying to check to see if she was wet enough to require changing or if she could wait a bit longer, I tried to get her lo bend her knee or at least let me lift her leg. She was pushing it down onto the bed as hard as she could. Usually this is because it is stiff from being still and hurts her to move it. That morning, as I turned to her to ask her to help me lift it, I realized she was laughing at me. She still has a mischievous streak and a great sense of humor.

The pastor from her church came out with the Deacon today for in home communion. Mom has always loved to have them come out and has treasured the communion service with them. Today, although she slept through the sermon, we woke her for the communion and she seemed to appreciate that we did. Her appetite has been quite good the past few days and she has been drinking much more than she had been. It always feels good when she is more engaged that way, but I caution myself to remember what the nurses have said. With Alzheimer’s there are up days and down days. If we can enjoy the up days and not let the down days worry us, then we’re doing pretty well. Right now, we’re doing pretty well and, though sleepy for much of it, this definitely ended up as an up day! Three cheers for Errol Flynn!

No comments:

Post a Comment