Sunday, December 9, 2012

She’s Still In there

I have to share a funny story from last night.

When our dog and I came to bed for the night, the dog settled into her bed on the floor and I climbed into mine with Mom. Feeling a bit sentimental, though, I got back out of the bed and hugged the dog one more time, then kissed her head. When I climbed back into bed Mom was watching me and so I explained to her that I was just hugging the dog. I asked her if she wanted a big hug too. She said yes, so I hugged her really tight. She squeaked an “oooh”, so I let her go and kissed her head, too. Then I told her I loved her. She said, “I… I…  I… ". So I finished for her, “You love me, too?” She said “Yes.”  Then the dog gave out a low “errr woof” at which mom started laughing and laughing.  I asked her what was so funny and she said, “The Dog does, too!”

I had thought the dog had heard a sound, but I think mom was right. With her loving heart and cheerful wit, Mom had more correctly understood that the dog was hearing the words “I love you” and adding her love to the consensus. 

Just when I worry about how much of my mom is gone, she shows me how much of her is still here! I sure do love her!

No comments:

Post a Comment