Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Snow and other Delights

I’m sorry there has been such a lag in writing. We had house guests for a long weekend, which ALWAYS makes our world better and brighter, but it also left me focused on family and not on writing. I’m sorry.

I will note that Mom loved having the family drop in. While she may not recall now that they were here, she enjoyed seeing them when she was awake. They graciously planned the running and playing around her wakeful times so that they could spend it with her, but there really wasn’t a lot of it, for the most part. She then spent much of today sleeping in recovery. That’s a normal pattern for us.

I have found over the past few years that certain movies will wake her up and engage her mind. So, when I thought she was going to sleep all day, I put in an old favorite film of the season, It’s a Wonderful Life, and she woke up and stayed engaged and awake for the whole film. She had seen White Christmas with the family over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it, too. She loves those older films that she remembers somewhat and is more able to follow and engage with them than with some of the newer films.

She is having more of an issue with incontinence now, both with her bowels and her bladder. She was traumatized recently when she realized that she had had one such experience, but forgot it once we had clean Depends on her. I have said more than once, this disease is curse and a blessing. She doesn’t remember the humiliations inflicted upon her by the disease or any of the other traumas of life, like losing my father a few years back. She just lives in the moment and we work hard to make the moments as pleasant as possible.

She also gets to relive the delightful things over and over. We had a minimal snowfall over night and all through the day she would suddenly call my name, point out the window and say look!!! She realized, with great delight, that there was snow out her window about 25 times today! And I was on top of it enough to be excited at the realization each time it occurred!  

No comments:

Post a Comment