Thursday, April 18, 2013

Changes in Patterns

We had a tough week last week, with our caregiver out for 4 days with the flu in her house. Fortunately I had help on one of those days and kind family and the Hospice team who stopped in to help with the biggest tasks of the day on the other 3.

Mom has been spending a lot of time sleeping… and not eating or drinking much. Her breakfast intake has been pretty consistent, until yesterday, but her dinner intake has dropped off to maybe 6 bites before she pushes her food and drink away and says, “No.” Her fluid intake is down to about 6 to 8 ounces a day. Yesterday and today, she really didn’t eat more than a few bites of breakfast either day.

On Sunday night we had a really rough night. Mom woke up about 4:30 AM and started trying to get out of her bed. That is something she hasn’t voluntarily done in several months. In fact, for the most part, she will fight getting up even to do her bath or toilet routines. Sunday night, however, she was very agitated and every 20 minutes or so would push off her covers and, again, try to get out of bed. She kept trying to tell me that she needed to get up. I thought at first that she needed to go to the potty, then I thought maybe she needed to throw up. The caregiver had been at the house for a couple of days before the doctors figured out that her daughter had the flu, so we were worried that Mom might have been exposed. Mom eventually pushed away the basin I brought her and said, “Not that!” So I stopped worrying about her needing to throw up. I kept reminding her that she could relax; that she was wearing depends so it was okay for her to go without getting out of bed. She would relax a bit then start all over again with her agitated behavior. Her temperature was elevated and, when I asked her if she hurt, where, she would tell me, “I don’t know, I don’t know.”

At 8:00, when I thought that my regular Hospice nurse might be at work, I called her and told her what was going on. I asked her if she thought mom might have the flu or maybe a urinary tract infection. She asked me about mom’s food and drink intake and her sleep cycle of the past few days. When I had given her the information she told me that what she really thought was happening was that mom’s organs are starting to slowly shut down. That creates a pain sensation to which she is not accustomed and, with her language skills further impacted by the Alzheimer’s, she really could explain the pain she was feeling to me. That pain was causing discomfort and anxiety which manifested itself in the behavior of the night before. She had me give her an extra dose of her high powered Tylenol and within about 30 or 40 minutes she was calm and sleeping easily in her bed.  As a result, we are now giving her more frequent doses of her meds and she is much more comfortable and happy.

A dear friend, who was also a caregiver for us for a time, chewed me out for not calling Hospice at 4:30 when things started. She said that they are there 24/7 just for that purpose and they could have given me guidance on what to do much earlier, thus alleviating some of my worries and mom’s discomfort. Lesson learned. She also mentioned that, in her work as a care giver, she has found the Hospice program that we are using to be the best and she has worked with the nurse who is caring for mom and is particularly impressed with her skill. I felt both chastened and comforted when I hung up the phone from talking to her!

Our Hospice Nurse did tell me that the process of organ shut down is not a matter of days or hours, per se. She said it could take a few months or it could move more quickly. Much of the timeline will depend on what other problems arise and Mom’s responses to them. Remember that Mom has diabetes and that renal failure is a side effect of diabetes, one that we have been holding at bay quite successfully to date. A problem like that could certainly change things, but there is no indication, at this time, that we are any further down that road than any other. So I am not going to borrow trouble, but I am going to do as Hospice keeps saying and let Mom’s body and her needs be our guide as we move on down this path.

No comments:

Post a Comment