Thursday, April 4, 2013

Rain and Sleep

The rains have returned and so has Mom's sleepy state. I know that this will sound odd, but that gives me hope. It means that she may not be in the sleeping phase, a final stage of Alzheimer's, but is simply responding to climatic influences at this point. And I'm sticking to that premise!

She seems to be eating a good solid breakfast and a small dinner these days. Her blood sugar is starting to slip back down to a more normal level, generally, although we are not really worrying about that too much these days. We made her a batch of good old Gingerbread, which she used to make when I was younger, and she loved it. We've decided that if we give her the sweets with breakfast, then her body can process it out without driving her morning sugar up too high. We'll see if our new theory works!

Last night she was having dinner and had eaten about half of her piece of quiche. She pushed her hand against mine when I started the next bite toward her mouth which is her signal for "No". Then she pointed to the dog who was sitting nearby watching each morsel go into Mom's mouth. I laughed and agreed that the dog was watching her. I then tried to give her the bite again, and, again, she refused it and pointed to the dog. So I asked if she was telling me to give it to the dog. She literally giggled and shook her head yes. So I gave the dog the bite. They proceeded to split the remaining 4 bites on her plate with her smiling and patting the dog each time she sent her a bite. It's no wonder that the dog adores her....

We have been staying with Mom almost 24/7 these days, as she seems so restless and we don't want to risk her falling out of bed as a result. Last night, when I had the tv on low and was finishing up on the computer, around 9:30, Mom, who had been sleeping for several hours by that time, raised her head from her pillow, looked over at me and said, "I think we'll go to bed now!" Then she lay her head back down and I obediently turned off the TV, the computer and my lamp and went to bed. I guess you’re never too old for your mom to send you to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment